Endorsement Election Opens for CD 3
Adelante members may start voting in the caucus election to determine who we will endorse for Congressional District 3. A link to a ballot has been sent from Opavote to members who have been registered in the caucus for at least 30 days. The election will be open for two weeks.
Adelante Starts a Letter-to-the-Editor Team
Liz Copeland will spearhead this team, because letters to the editor are a great way to inform the public about issues important to Adelante.
Information about Letters to the Media:
- Members of the Adelante Letter-to-the-Editor team will write letters to local newspapers regarding issues and values formally endorsed by the Adelante Progressive Caucus.
- A letter to the editor is usually written by an individual. It is published in the editorial pages of a newspaper or magazine.
- The more geographically diverse our Letter-to-the-Editor Team, the more powerful our letter-writing campaigns will be.
- We will create a spread-sheet with a list of newspapers in New Mexico, an e-mail address for each one, and add the names of Team members who live in the area that the newspaper covers
- To sign up for the Letter-to-the-Editor Team, send an e-mail to Liz Copeland email@example.com Please include 1) Your name 2) Where you reside 3) Newspapers in your area, 4) The newspaper’s e-mail address for sending letters to the editor.
Endorsed Candidates Lose Close Vote for DNC
In the first major challenge to corporate Democrats in New Mexico, candidates for the Democratic National Committee came up a little short. Jay Levine and Pia Gallegos, who helped found the caucus and were endorsed by Adelante, each lost their election by less than 20 votes. The vote was done by the party State Central Committee, or SCC, on March 7.
Pia and Jay gave thoughtful and developed speeches on what they would do to be active leaders in the DNC. Unfortunately, they fell just a few votes short in winning against two pretty much hand-picked “legacy” candidates. This idea of “handing down” the positions to pre-selected people really needs to be replaced by one based on merit. We took a big whack at that this year, and came close. Jay and Pia are to be commended — both did a great job on their campaigns.
Adelante is not finished fighting.
Your donation can help us get more progressives on the SCC, which can help elect leftists anywhere on the ticket, and people on the DNC who will work for transparency and accountability.